Monday, August 22, 2011

The Transition.

I am a college student. I have been for exactly thirteen days. So far the transition has been basically what I thought it would be. Sizing up the professors, walking awkwardly into class and looking for a familiar face, and trying your damnedest not to make a fool out of yourself in front of all the cute boys. People watching is a must during your first few days. You see people and give them a nickname based on what you think they are like. Sometimes it sticks and sometimes it is so totally off base that you feel horrible  for even thinking about that name when you actually get to know them. I try really hard not to judge.. really. I do. So I'm going to say that I didn't judge.. I just pointed out the obvious.

First you need to know that on arrival the college provided us with a little 'care package.' It included a water bottle, a tape measure, a shirt, and a little draw string bag.

Anyway, on the second day of orientation the alumni held a cookout for the incoming freshman. My roommate and I sat on a bench overlooking the Quad. I swear to you. It was like a scene right out of a movie. You had the slutty girls trying to impress the boys with their awesome football throwing skills. You had the normal kids playing a massive game of volleyball. You had the jocks sitting around being.. well, jocks. And finally there was the lame music that the DJ thinks is appropriate for 18 year old kids. My roommate.. lets call her Candy. Candy and I were people watching. Particularly the volleyball players. There were so many of them crammed into that little square that if they turned too fast they would run face first into each other. There was this one kid that stood out. You know the kind. The one that really really wants to make friends but isn't athletic, and pretty much lacks all acceptable social skills? Yeah. That kid. Bless his heart. He had his pants pulled up to his boobs. His shirt was tucked in. And he had his water bottle clipped to his belt loop. Water Bottle, as we dubbed him, was running around after every ball and he was serving with a stiff right hook. It was sad. I was sad for him. I expressed my sadness to Candy. She told me that I should go give him pointers. I was sad, but I wasn't that sad. There are rules you have to follow when you are making the transition into college life. You can care about others. You should care about others and be nice to them. But if you don't make friends first, you will be the kid with the water bottle clipped to her belt loop.

No comments:

Post a Comment