Sunday, August 28, 2011

Pretty bird.

I came home this weekend to spend time with my family. There's never a dull moment with them around. True to my expectations, my mom just yelled at me to come outside. My dad wanted to show my sister and me something. I walked out the front door and he was holding a bird. We don't own a bird.

There have been several occasions where one has flown into our glass door and stunned itself. I've gone outside, picked it up, and 'nursed' it back to health. It usually only takes a few minutes and then they repay me by shitting on my hand and flying away.

This wasn't one of those cases. It was completely healthy! And so pretty! We didn't know what it was so my mom went to look it up. While she was gone we had to find somewhere to put it. Because we don't own a bird we don't have any cages that are bird appropriate. Until I saw the fire pit. If you ignore the fact that it's built for holding fires it's pretty much the perfect bird cage! We cleaned it out really good and put the bird down in it. He seems happy.

Makeshift bird cage.


My mom used to work with a woman whose husband is a park ranger. He knows his animals. I sent a picture to her and she told me it was a parakeet. A blue parakeet to be exact. Those are not native to my county. They are not even native to my state. That lead me to the conclusion that my dad caught someones pet bird.  Dad is so excited about it. He was all "We're keeping this until someone calls about it! I caught it and it's from the wild! I had to remind him that it wasn't exactly from the wild and there was no telling where it was from because birds have wings and they can travel long distances, but that didn't dampen his spirits. The bird is now living on my front porch. In the fire pit.

I'm naming him Petey.

No comments:

Post a Comment