Thursday, August 25, 2011

Have your balls dropped yet?

As an art major I am subjected to strange things every day. I'm not accustom to having someone walk in the room and the instructor be all "Oh, we're just looking at naked pictures." That's strange. But I can deal with it. If naked pictures were the only thing that I've seen in this past week I would be a happy camper.


On my first day of 2D Design our professor sat us down, gave us our syllabus and told us to come into the projector room because she wanted to show us a video. First we watched this:



That was probably one of the strangest things I had seen next to a Lady Gaga video or the text my friend sent me of that girl fucking a horse. I mean, who ties people up and makes them stare at shadow puppets? That's a different level of crazy. And why does the narrator keep saying what he thinks the characters should think? Is he that fucking insightful? Well come on down Dr. Fucking Phil! Tell me how what you think I would feel after being chained in a cave all my life and having to watch shadow puppets all day!

It took me a couple of days to finally forget about how bizarre that video was. And then we were showed another one. I'm almost positive that this will follow me to my grave.


                                                     Mathew Barney: The Cremaster

Our professor was all excited and she goes "Guess what it means!!" Some guessed a baby in the womb and others guessed something about sex. It was in the ball park.. I guess.  

"The project is filled with anatomical allusions to the position of the reproductive organs during the embryonic process of sexual differentiation: Cremaster 1 represents the most "ascended" or undifferentiated state, Cremaster 5 the most "descended" or differentiated. The cycle repeatedly returns to those moments during early sexual development in which the outcome of the process is still unknown.." 

 Yeah. I totally would have guessed that one. So.. basically this is about someone's balls dropping. Or not dropping. That is the question. And it's supposed to be about his dreams? I don't know. I don't think I will ever know. Apparently there are five three hour long videos out there floating around in cyber space. And in art galleries. Maybe if I watched those I could understand what it means. Most likely I will still believe that this is some pervert taking way too many drugs and having a lot of free time. I appreciate art. I do. That's why I'm an art major.. but there are just some things that will never make sense to me. And the Cremaster Cycle is on top of that list.

In other news: I was laying on my bed typing this post and my air conditioner shot out what looked to be rocks. It was loud and it scared the shit out of me. You know that sound your vacuum cleaner makes when you suck up a bunch of rocks? Multiply that by about 15 and you will get how loud it was. I sat there for a moment to let my heart rate return to normal and then it did it again. I got up to investigate and it was ice. My air conditioner is fucking frozen. It shoots out ice. That would be good if I needed a cold drink, but I need a cold room. I'm going to have to let it thaw out. Because that's what air conditioners are meant for.

No comments:

Post a Comment